Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sheringa - October 2009

8 months between Gashes trips. This is unheard of. We've all been going off on fishing trips here and there, but never lined up our leave. Finally we're back on.

The Gashes


Harry, Sani and myself headed over to Sheringa on Friday morning, cutting our way through the dirt roads along the way. The scenic route. Arriving at the roadhouse, I asked the owner how the fishing was, and he replied "crap". Not a good sign, but he also told Harry his bottle of port was $100 before charging $9, so we weren't sure if he was serious or not.

We set up our camp at the "GUN SPOT" Matt had directed us to claim if possible. That was no problem, because no one else was camping down the Salmon beach end. After cooking up lunch, we set up our rigs and headed over the dune to the Salmon Beach. The only problem was when we got there, there was no beach left. From my last visit about 3 years ago, there seemed to be about 2 metres less sand on the beach.. where small rocky bits barely made it to the surface before, they were now sticking up above my head. This wasn't a good sign, but we trekked further west to a small patch of beach which still had some sand on it.

Eroded Beach


Before long I had hooked on and got a small salmon in the esky. The fishing was slow however, with a lot of weed in the water, and Harry endured a bust off or two.

First hook up!


With the sun getting low, and lacking any lights, we made our way back to camp to get the fire going.

The following morning, I was up before the others, so decided to go for a quick drive to see if I could see the cap of my fishing tube anywhere on the track. It had rattled off somewhere along the way on our trip. No luck in that department, but I did spot a better looking beach. After breakfast we headed back to this beach and on my first cast I had a nice 1kg Salmon on.

Vintage Harry


We continued fishing here until lunch time when Matt & Saza, and Will & Dana both rocked up within 10mins of each other, and headed back to camp. I had caught about half a dozen salmon, although all of them quite small. My day head start hadn't given me the biggest lead in fish caught.

The fishing that afternoon again was at the beach I had spotted with a decent gutter. It was the only real fishable spot along the coast, not counting the first beach when you head in. We noticed a Rav4 further down the beach getting itself very bogged, and after awhile they called us over to help. Me and Harry drove around planning to snatch em straight out but my bolts wouldn't fit onto their cars tie down point. So plan B, which should have been plan A, was to push them out. With 4 guys pushing, it easily reversed out of the bog and was on its way again. Good deed done! Now for the good karma...

Back at the beach where the other guys were, Matt had somehow stolen my good karma and landed a massive salmon in my absence. All I got to see was a huge tail fin sticking out the sand.

Its Huge


No matter, as Will landed one pretty much the same size not long after, but with already one huge fish ready for dinner, he popped it back in the water. After the photo of course.

Will lands a good Salmon


I thought this was a good sign for some big fishing session about to commence, but unfortunately not. The next morning, divided on where to fish, Harry, Sani and I travelled up to Lock's Well. Matt and Will persisted with the spot we'd been fishing previously.

Locks Well


There were no good gutters at Locks, but we decided to walk down and have a go anyway. Harry managed to catch one small salmon but it wasn't looking very fishy, so we soon headed back up the stairs and made our way back to Sheringa. Once there, I decided to give the first beach a go, having heard it produces some big King George Whiting. The only problem was, it was very very long and I had no idea where to fish from. After a quick go at the very beginning, and losing a rig amongst all the weed floating around, we drove down the beach and I casted the big rod out into some nice clear water.

Sheringa Fishing


Once I finally got my whiting rig back out, I managed a small Mullet and Salmon trout, but no KGW :( Think I'll need to get some more information on where they reside next time.

Back at camp, the others were sitting around drinking beers and cooking lunch - obviously a quiet morning session for them too.

The afternoon / night time fish was back at now 'ol faithful. The only place producing decent fish. Another quiet night despite a few fresh salmon fillets going out as bait. Will pulled another decent salmon and put himself out in to a clear lead for the gashes. Surprise!

Back around the campfire, will declared the Gashes will be over on his departure, thus declaring him the winner - how ever we argued its not our fault he's leaving a day early, and it was still on. He went to bed early to get up and have a fish before he left.

Will's morning fish proved productive and he had another half dozen landed. He was well out in front now.. but soon to depart and Matt not all that far behind. I was lagging further back, and Harry was probably asleep some where.

I wish the gashes was about who saw the most sleepy lizards, because I saw millions of them. Including one that walked right through the middle of our camp.

Here is a picture of our final day fishing efforts. As you can see it was action packed

Waiting...


So, with that, Will takes home another Gashes win. It was unfortunate the beaches were so eroded as it would have given us a few more options to fish from. The fishing was slow, but Matt and Will were both happy to pull in some 3kg+ salmon. I sure would've been!

Sheringa Coast


More pictures here

No comments: